Prevention is better than rescue. Here are 9 tips to avoiding a MOB.
- Tighten lifelines and jack lines.
- Provide strong, secure points and hand holds.
- Keep a good foothold: wear footwear that grips; fit non-skid deck patches.
- Wear a combined harness and lifejacket.
- Keep your harness securely fitted.
- Wear a light, compact safety line with an overload indicator.
- Always clip-on when sailing short handed, at night, in poor visibility, or in heavy weather.
- Look after your kit and trust your kit.
- Do it out of consideration for your skipper, fellow crew and those who might have to rescue you.
No matter how well prepared you are you should still have a MOB plan and practice it.